View Single Post
Old 07-04-2006, 03:25 AM   #10
SnorkleCat
Explode the Universe!

Send a message via MSN to SnorkleCat Send a message via Yahoo to SnorkleCat
Default good points....

So... it sounds like I'm not alone in thinking that the writing could improve...I wonder then what the problem is. Are developers unaware that most of them lack the talent to produce a script good enough to be released? Or do they know this and just lack the resources to hire enough specialized staff? I can certainly understand the latter and it is unfortunate.

Still, I do think writing should be as important as art...those of us who are not artists wouldn't dream of scrawling our own backdrops and stick figure heroes presuming that players would find them adequate....perhaps studios should start looking at the writing in the same way; an art department, a writing department , and a programming department. If there is enough collaboration, the job should get done, and each department would understand the medium better.

I do agree that the medium is still under development and there are many things left to try. Also, I'm sure that there is a way to balance game play and story, but it will take experimentation, which some old school gamers might not like. It is hard to try new things if players constantly say "It just doesn't get better than Monkey Island! Now there was a REAL adventure game!!" I mean, some people panned Grim Fandango just because its interface was unfamilar, and I've read some editorial rants that say that Myst was responsible for the "death of the genre"..which seems a bit melodramatic to me.

Also, let us not forget that NEW players can be recruited by good game experiences. I'm one such person. Last year, I'd have died from shame to admit that I had played a computer game.. I had assumed all games to be low brow and teen boy oriented.

I know that there are lots of other people out there who would happily spend their money on games, but currently do not because the quality is perceived to be low, filled with stereotypes, and /or not created for their demographic. Unfortunately at this time, they may be justified in feeling this way.