View Single Post
Old 06-28-2006, 05:05 PM   #26
MoriartyL
Not like them!

Send a message via AIM to MoriartyL

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepurhan
Yes, creativity is fun. But AGs aren't everyone's choice of outlet for creativity. There's singing, playing a musical instrument, dance, poetry, painting, sculpture, interior design......

I could go on but you get the idea. You're enthusiastic about AG innovation. Good for you. My preference is for poetry (a small amount of which has appeared in these very forums) I can't recall seeing any of your poems around here. Would it be fair of me to accuse YOU of not liking creativity because of that?
No, it most certainly would not.
Beginning - End

Get your facts straight.

Normally I express myself through my blog, which I have not posted on in a while because I am so tied up with one post, which so happens to be a poem.

Otherwise, I express myself through music, which sadly I don't know how to share here.

But "enthusiastic about AG innovation"? Ha! I'd prefer to be talking about platformers, or tactical RPGs, or metaludes! As far as my preferences go, AGs (with the exception of pure exploration) are pretty far down on the list. I started sharing AG ideas for one and only one reason: I thought the people here would want to share AG ideas more than anything else (because I assumed that they were enthusiastic), and I wanted to get it moving in a direction my fellow forumers would be most comfortable in. This was never for myself.

RLacey, maybe you can understand now why I'm upset. I didn't make this for myself - if I had, you can be sure it wouldn't look anything like that thread, and chances are it would have been on my blog instead of this forum. I made it for "you", whoever "you" is. And no one seemed to acknowledge that they needed something like this, which I find perplexing.

Spiwak, I think I understand your objection in that case. But I don't see how it relates to this. Bypassing the issue that that dialogue system was (and still is) a very important innovation to me personally while these are practically disposable, the whole point of the random innovation thread is that it should be a welcoming outlet for creative ideas. (Which is why I started with the traditional "happy moderator" style instead of my own.) It's about giving your ideas to an audience, not throwing your ideas to a pack of wolves to tear apart. And I made it clear that these weren't to be practical necessities or even good ideas - it just needed to sound like fun. So where does the argument about the dialogue system fit in here?

Now, as Squinky and Melanie68 have argued, an idea isn't worth much until it's put into use. I partially agree. But this isn't about value - it's about the creative process. Even if you don't plan on doing anything with it, it's a good creative exercise which makes you rethink things you've taken for granted and practice creative work. This seems like a worthwhile goal in itself. But the larger issue is that when you have a random idea and you don't even tell anyone about it, that is an idea completely wasted.