View Single Post
Old 06-25-2006, 03:22 PM   #9
pinkgothic
Feind der Anonymitaet!

Send a message via ICQ to pinkgothic Send a message via AIM to pinkgothic Send a message via Yahoo to pinkgothic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamNMax
I've told this to some Alien fans and the reaction is always the same "what no way it';s not sci-fi it's horror you have to see it so scary"
Hey, I'm an Xenomorph fan, too, but I wouldn't lump the movie in the scary category. *pause* Well, actually, more scary than other movies I've ever seen (I demand atmospheric fear. BOO!-type 'scares'... aren't. And sadly most movies trying to be scary... try for that), but nonetheless... I just think the creature is cool. XD

I mean, come on! It's modelled after a phallus! What's not to like?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamNMax
Now, I admit it's a great sci-fi movie, but there is no way at all that you could convince me to call it horror.
I'm not offended by that. I'm glad you like it as sci-fi. Sadly I have to disagree with your liking of Aliens more... of all four Alien movies (AvP, even though I enjoyed that, doesn't count), I liked it least. But then, I find everyone has a different take on how the movies are ordered on an awesomeness scale. It's baffling how little consensus there is.

Mine, not that anyone cares:

1. Alien Resurrection (stone me already, you know you want to - this one's a laugh, and there are some really ingenius traps set up by Aliens, plus Ripley's character is deep as... deep as... I lack an analogy here, it's so deep. [clearly, unlike me.])
2. Alien³ (What? WHAT? It's all obscure! Sure, the end is kind of... um... well, let's forget that... but it builds up so nicely... nevermind a briefly confusing start...)
3. Alien (OMGWTF, THE KITTY. SAVE THE KITTY. GAAAAARGGGH. Um. Anyway.)
4. Aliens (Why? Why does everything have to 'splode and what's all this warfare deal? ...okay, it makes sense, but why? Couldn't you have skipped it? ...or made it more interesting? Or...? Meh. *unconvinced* Still good, though, all blow-shit-up considered.)

Hm.

BTW, I found the most frightening scene in Jurassic Park to be the one where the Dilophosaur 'teen' does it's spitting thing. I adore 'raptors, but they were just suspenseful, not scary. Plus, I was rooting for them anyway, so it's hard to be scared of them. More like "OMGWTF COOLZ0R!". Not that Dilophosaurus isn't cool.

There goes that theory.

I dunno. This is a list about movies, and I don't think I've ever been genuinely scared by a movie to a point of attributing 'horror' to it. The scariest thing I've ever heard of is the grey men in Momo. Stuff like that freaks me out.
Winner of the Second-Best-Dressed and Non-Specific awards in the Unbiased Impostor Awards™, amongst many others.

Non-Conformist to Non-Conformism™
Internet Explodifier™ - the best weapon of mass destruction!!!11one
Trademark Overuser™