View Single Post
Old 06-25-2006, 02:56 PM   #3
Once A Villain
OUATIJ Creator

I personally think that's the best of all Bravo's lame ass lists, overall. No lists are perfect.

Oddly enough, the best AFI list is also their horror list (but it's called a "Thriller" list so some of them aren't horror films). The only reason I like it is because Psycho is #1 and Jaws is #2. And those just happen to be the two films that had the most effect on me in terms of how badly they terrified me. It's going to be different for everyone I assume, and it has to do with when you see a particular film in your life.

Exorcist came in at #3 on the AFI list, and I agree with that from my personal perspective. Seeing the film at about 9 years old, there were images that HORRIFIED me. I remember trying to sleep that night...I kept hearing the music pounding in my head and seeing that image of the old lady sitting on the bed (the one the priest sees).

Poltergeist also terrified me because of the clown in the bedroom. I had a Raggedy Andy doll in my room at the time, I was 6 years old. I tossed Raggedy Andy into the hallway and for the first time in my life up to that point I was wanting to keep something OUT of my room as opposed to having the door open with a hall light on.

But yes, in the end, Jaws and Psycho were the scariest for me over the longest period of time. I saw Jaws while I was still taking swimming lessons (very young again) and the pool had a VERY deep end... I remember thinking Jaws could somehow get in the pool. And to this day there are rare occasions when I'll be in the ocean and start to think of the John William's score and a predator from below staring up at my kicking feet as if they are drumsticks to nibble on. Psycho made me more cautious in the shower because really that's when I'm at my most vulnerable.

Anyway...my two cents. Heh.