View Single Post
Old 06-17-2006, 02:45 AM   #40
Fien
Senior *female* member

The link doesn't work for me either. Don't know what I did wrong, because when I'm logged in I can access the thread. I am kind of stupid that way...

Anyway, here's what this Lead Programmer guy wrote in reply to the poster who started the thread:

Hi all,

To-date no-one (that I know of) has ever found either of the "Eric Idle says F***" cheats that I put into Discworld I & II.

There are matching sound-bytes for the text in both games (which would make great Windows sounds if extracted).

The speech file in Discworld 1 was not "bleeped" (and see what happened below). The F-word in Discworld 2 was bleeped out (to keep the publisher happy... see why below).

Here is the story I was told...

Someone's PC crashed while running Discworld I and it started playing all the sound bytes end-to-end.
They listened to the lot and were amazed when Eric Idle spoke the infamous phrase:
"I want to be the first person in a game to say f***!... f***, f***, f***, f***, f***!"

Result: one unhappy publisher... one embarassed lead programmer

I have to wonder if anyone ever will find my cheats, as exact sequences of actions are required (more so in DWI than DWII).

Happy hunting!

Dave Johnston
Lead Programmer Discworld I & II

Two posters said they HAD heard Rincewind say it:

A. Thank gawd for this topic. i did hear it once, when it first came out, but couldn't ever reproduce it. Thought I was going nuts (it was about 4-5am, and i'd been playing the previous 8 hours).

B. I'm pretty sure I heard it when the game was made. However, how can you tell it was an easter egg? It's just a piece of dialog like any other in the game. I never thought it qualified anything out of the ordinary.