View Single Post
Old 06-14-2006, 04:44 AM   #1
beatchef

Default Haunting Ground, would it be considered an adventure game?

I've just bought this little known gem of a game called Haunting Ground. Has anyone else here played it? Anyway, it's a game by Capcom, and it's on the PS2 so you'd automatically class it as an action game under normal circumstances. The gameplay however is that you walk around this mansion you've been mysteriously dumped in and you walk around picking up items, reading things, getting clues, solving puzzles. There's lots of long story cutscenes too. Occasionally you'll run into one of 4 of the mansion's crazy deinizens and you have to do everything you can to run away and escape, even training a dog you've rescued to attack them. I know it doesn't matter but would you consider it to be a 3D adventure game rather than a console action game as all other Capcom games like Resident Evil are labeled? It's more of an adventure game than Dreamfall at least :p

It's kind of like Dreamfall meets Silent Hill meets Maniac Mansion Eternal Darkness minus the fighting and adding puzzles.

If you've got a PS2 and you see this game cheap, I really recommend it. It's very clever, gorgeous lookking, challenging, creepy and sometimes delightfully derranged in a Takeshi Miike way. If you've read my other threads how come creepy traditional adventure games creep me out but something mroe scary like this doesn't? Hmm. Anyway, yes, recommended.

http://uk.gamespot.com/ps2/adventure...to/review.html