View Single Post
Old 06-07-2006, 06:18 AM   #153
seebaruk
Chris Barraclough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeysie
1. Not a big fan of puns unless they're clever. (Some of the wordplay was clever, but see #3 below.)

2. Not a big fan of random/out of left field humor. Vastly prefer humor that evolves logically from the circumstances. (For instance, the whole "red zone/white zone" bit was funny until it derailed into complete WTF?-ness at the end.)

3. Not a big fan of the exact same joke being used five zillion times in the same film... especially when almost every joke in the film ends up being recycled that way. I love running gags, but used judiciously, and there needs to be some variety in how the gag is repeated.

I think the only part of the movie I found unreservedly funny was the whole "I speak Jive..." bit.

Anyhoo.

As for the topic at hand... let me put it this way:

When "alright" actually evolves to the point where it means something *different* than "all right", (as other similar "smushings" have) I'll stop kvetching. Until then, I'll keep grinding my teeth over it and correcting it whenever I see it in something I'm copyediting.

Peace & Luv, Liz
Alright then

Check out www.chrisbarraclough.co.uk for promotions and giveaways. Twitter: Seebaruk