View Single Post
Old 06-06-2006, 11:34 AM   #149
Jeysie
Diva of Death

Send a message via MSN to Jeysie

Quote:
Originally Posted by seebaruk
Hehe, don't call me Shirley! I can't believe you don't like that film Jeysie.
1. Not a big fan of puns unless they're clever. (Some of the wordplay was clever, but see #3 below.)

2. Not a big fan of random/out of left field humor. Vastly prefer humor that evolves logically from the circumstances. (For instance, the whole "red zone/white zone" bit was funny until it derailed into complete WTF?-ness at the end.)

3. Not a big fan of the exact same joke being used five zillion times in the same film... especially when almost every joke in the film ends up being recycled that way. I love running gags, but used judiciously, and there needs to be some variety in how the gag is repeated.

I think the only part of the movie I found unreservedly funny was the whole "I speak Jive..." bit.

Anyhoo.

As for the topic at hand... let me put it this way:

When "alright" actually evolves to the point where it means something *different* than "all right", (as other similar "smushings" have) I'll stop kvetching. Until then, I'll keep grinding my teeth over it and correcting it whenever I see it in something I'm copyediting.

Peace & Luv, Liz

"Maybe it's still in the Elemental Plane of Candy."
"Is the Elemental Plane of Candy anything like Willy Wonka's factory?"
"If it is, would that mean Oompa Loompas are Candy Elementals?"
"Actually, I'm thinking more like the Candyland board game. But, I like this idea better."
"I like the idea of Oompa Loompa Elementals."