View Single Post
Old 06-05-2006, 12:44 PM   #20
Intrepid Homoludens
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLacey
I just genuinely don't think that it's a useful comparison to complain that a dozen hours of video game writing isn't up to the standards of a two-hour film with completely different pacing. Which is why I'm glad nobody has tried to use that argument .
No one's stated yet that games can never be as good as films. The thing you're assuming is that we would automatically use the standards of films and force them onto games. What I'm instead thinking is how games explore narrative, and whether they use conventional filmic methods, or whether they use methods that perhaps films are unable to because they're not interactive like games and don't usually operate that way.

To force filmic standards and conventions onto games, I think, isn't necessarily wrong, and it may even create an interesting game. It depends on what the games writer and designer does with it. Naturally there are ways to convey narative in games that films never can, and that's great, too.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien