View Single Post
Old 06-05-2006, 12:01 PM   #18
Intrepid Homoludens
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLacey
I'm not saying that you're wrong, but I question how well GK3 actually told its story. The villian was obvious as soon as you met him, the whole end of the game was incredibly rushed, and the backstory explanation was fairly pathetic - one brief cutscene before the final section of the game. It's not a bad game by any means, but I always felt that the story paled in comparison to either of the previous games in the series.
What standards are you using to critique the writing and exposition in GK3?

Like I stated, many game stories and how they're written are invariably cliched. Freshness and originality are quite rare. Besides, this medium is still relatively young and underdeveloped (30 years) as an industry, and in many ways such as an art form.

Quote:
By the way, I'm really glad that nobody has actually directly compared game writing to film writing yet. Genuinely .
That's unrealistic of you. It's perfectly natural for anyone to compare similarities between media, so why should we roll our eyes to the inevitable comparison of games to film? It's the main frame of reference we have precisely because that's how we operate, considering how 'young' video games are as a developing medium, we need to bounce it off what we're already familiar with to gain some kind of context. The same thing happened between motion pictures and the stage performance, between motion pictures and literature, between records and live musical performances.

So why avoid it? If anything it's very healthy and opens up possibilities to delve more deeply in how we perceive our media and in what ways and in how we can talk about it.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien