View Single Post
Old 06-05-2006, 10:48 AM   #13
Venkman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkface
I personally revile all this emphasis on storytelling and view the story as just one small part of a larger palette (including visual style, audio design, game rules, puzzles, game environment, writing, etc) a game designer may use to express his vision. As such, the story isn't something I particularly notice, unless it's glaringly inadequate, so I can't comment on the relative quality of stories in adventure games.
Junkface, I'm glad that you feel that way. I have been saying for a long time that the constant emphasis on "storytelling" in videogames (mostly RPG's and adventures of course) is not the direction things should be going.

I despise the Longest Journey for this. The interactivity is nil, and instead of gameplay we get drawn-out half-hour "cinematic" (read: dialogue with a static screen) sequences.

I played Monkey Island 2 and TLJ at about the same time. MI2 is by far the better game, and is everything that TLJ is not. Another poster in this thread mentioned that people complain of MI2 being a bunch of "fetch quests" with no strong story. The funny thing is that MI2 is loaded with puzzles and has more actual gameplay than almost any other adventure game I've played. People don't like it because they prefer an interactive storybook.