View Single Post
Old 06-05-2006, 07:55 AM   #10
Once A Villain
OUATIJ Creator

Frankly, I think adventure games have the best writing of any genre overall. I honestly can't think of a game outside of the adventure genre that can compete with a Gabriel Knight game, The Last Express, Grim Fandango, etc. First-person shooters can have really cool, immersive stories and environments, but generally lack characterization. RPGs are excessively expositional when it comes to the writing, and I'm getting tired of heroes with amnesia and saving the entire world. Jade Empire is a game that many people seem to love, but I can't stand the storytelling or dialogue in that game. It's a prime example of terrible writing. This is what Jade Empire's dialogue sounds like, and unfortunately the same can be said for most RPGs:

CHARACTER 1: So, how are you today?

CHARACTER 2: What? In the twelve years we've known each other going to this school after your father died and my mother passed on, you've never asked me how I'm doing. Are you ok?

CHARACTER 1: Just thought I'd ask.

CHARACTER 2: Well, what's next? Are you going to ask me about Sensei WooShoo? I can tell you he's 89 years old and fifty years ago he defeated Willomanchu, the great evil being that was controlling our lands. But the legends say he will awaken again!

UGH....

The writing in a Metal Gear Solid game isn't much better, if at all. It always reminds me far too much of a cheesy anime...

So yeah, I vote for adventures as having the best writing in gaming.