View Single Post
Old 06-03-2006, 06:03 PM   #26
Monroeski

I haven't read most of this thread, so forgive me if what I say has already been mentioned.

I find that a lot of the time, when I get stuck in adventure games these days, it is more a problem with me knowing what the system can do rather than actually having problems with the logic. For instance, in Scratches, -
Spoiler:
as soon as I got the leaf of that plant in the greenhouse, I figured I had to grind it up, before I knew anything about the amulet at all. However, when I went to mess with the grinder, I was apparently missing the hotspot on it to open the top. I tried clicking EVERYWHERE on that bastard, but nothing happened except the drawer opening and closing, and the wheel turning; I somehow just missed the spot you need to open the top

So, in my spoiler wrapped example, I went to it, could not open it, so I figured my hunch was wrong and just moved on and had no idea what to do. I was stuck for a good long time later before I ended up biting the bullet and going to a FAQ, because, frankly, the story had me so intrigued I would rather cheat and find out what happened than not, and I figured out what had happened and was kind of annoyed. That's the most simple example I have, there are more complex ones than just missing a hotspot, but I can't really think of any off the top of my head right now.