View Single Post
Old 01-18-2004, 09:10 AM   #16
Deshrill

Quote:
Originally posted by Erwin_Br: Do whatever you want to let those creative juices flowing
Erwin_Br, you said in one sentence what I was trying to say in 2 rambling, single-spaced pages.

Quote:
Originally posted by Marek:However, I do think fan-created sequels serve a very important function. They're sort of a testing ground for new amateur developers.
Marek, that was a point I was trying to make in my post, but I don't think it came across as clearly as when you made it.

Quote:
Originally posted by AFGNCAAP:Think Escape from Monkey Island. I happen to like it, but many forumites will say it shames their favourite franchise.
Great point. This happens all the time, really. Escape From Monkey Island is a game I have mixed feelings about. I do not think it was as good as the first three, but it still was funny and kept the same comedic tone as other games in the series (although Ron Gilbert's MI2 had a dark tone that would be nice to see in the MI games again). My biggest problem with the 4th game is the graphics. It's not about the whole 3-D look; I don't care if an adventure game is 2-D or 3-D, as long as it's good. I thought the look of the 3-D graphics, while consistent in style with the graphics in previous MI games, looked ugly; I had the same problem graphically with GK3.

Yeah, the name change of Tierra would seem to mean that they have an original project in the works. I can't wait! I really like how with KQ2 they fleshed out the games a lot. I agree with your creative/moral stance, although I've never thought of it that way.

I have had an idea for a few years to do a remake of the first Gabriel Knight game with the graphics/gameplay style of Police Quest 1. Some puzzles would be different (although the first room in the game [GK's bedroom in the back of St. George's Bookstore] would have the infamous Sierra large pit that's tough to walk around). On my computer I might still have some concept artwork I did in MS Paint for the first two rooms, if anyone would want me to post them. It used an intentionally ugly color scheme (neon yellow and purple, with brown floors)... Back at home (5 + hours away), I have a folder full on concept artwork and "fake box art" sketches. The idea was to try and do a parody of both the GK series and the old Sierra games in general. I think the title was something like Sins of the Schatenhummerfelten-- A Gabriel Dwight Mystery.

AFGNCAAP, thanks for liking my GK "Sins of the Past" idea. I was just making stuff up off the top of my head to make a point when I was writing the uber-long post.

Yeah, Erwin_Br, FoA was a great game. I also loved the Last Crusade adventure game, but the branching paths after the intro quest in FoA better. Hal Barwood's design and writing was really great; the alternate endings were also a treat.