View Single Post
Old 05-08-2006, 10:10 PM   #1208
Once A Villain
OUATIJ Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiwak
You're probably right about Lawrence of Arabia. I certainly wasn't impressed when I saw it on the small screen. I myself would love to have that experience with 2001 all of Kubrick's movies.
Yeah, you know, 2001 was shot in 70mm too. Spartacus is horrible though, what overrated tripe. It would be one of his better films to see on the big screen, as far as visuals go, but no thanks... Many of his others I'm not sure would really be improved by seeing them on a large screen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NcroManiac
Strangers on a Train by Hitchcock.
Not his best, but one of the good ones, the scene on the merry-go-round is a classic.
Indeed.

By the way, the last movie I saw was a British film from 1949 called Kind Hearts and Coronets. What a masterpiece of black comedy. Alec Guinness is terrific in it (playing all 8 members of the D'Ascoyne family), as is Dennis Price. I can't think of a more immoral comedy than this, and I'm shocked that it was made by Ealing Studios. What other film asks the viewer to essentially root for a serial killer? This is how I described the movie in an IM to my friend (easier than writing a new version, and there aren't spoilers, this is all explained in the first 10 minutes of the movie):

Basically this woman marries for love instead of status. So her family disowns her. However, in that family she could have ascended to the role of Dutchess, and her son could have been Duke. Still, even after her husband dies and she's too poor to carry on, the family won't take her back. She's always teaching her son as he grows up about the family tree and how, technically, he could have been Duke one day (even though there's like 12 other family members in front of him and if they have kids, those would be in front too, LOL). So, finally she dies and her son despises the D'Ascoyne family for what they did to her. They wouldn't even let her be buried in the family tomb. So he sets out to become Duke by murdering ALL of the family members that stand between him and the Dukedom, LOL!!! And they are all played by Alec Guinness, LOL.

As if that's not immoral enough, you've got the murderous wannabe Duke having an affair with a married woman, and lusting after another woman (a widow whose husband he killed) at the same time. He says at one point: "While I never admired Edith as much as when I was with Sibella, I never longed for Sibella as much as when I was with Edith."

Anyway, I can't remember the last time I was so amused by a film that, underneath the comedic surface, seems to be completely cruel and cynical.

Last edited by Once A Villain; 05-08-2006 at 10:21 PM.