Thread: paradise review
View Single Post
Old 05-08-2006, 03:52 AM   #7
Kurufinwe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wouter
Well written review. I agree with most points though i would have scored it way lower (2,5/5). Honestly, after reading the review and especially the negative points, which have such a big impact on the game, i wondered how you came up with such a high score.... But that is, after all, a personal opinion.

I would recommend to anyone wanting to play this to wait for the patch, promised for the end of this week. On my high-spec and modern config, it was virtually unplayable and totally ruined the playing experience.
I didn't encounter many bugs, but I still definitely recommend that people wait for the patch. One thing is certain though: I was not going to lower the score because of bugs that were going to get fixed, and rather quickly. You may not remember it, or maybe that only affected the original French version, but it took Syberia three patches to correct all the bugs. As long as the company exhibits good communication with its customers, and a willingness to fix the bugs fast, then I'm not going to be too hard on them.

Quote:
That said, even with a patch, the game will never be super. It's empty on all accounts imo.
"It's empty on all accounts": I think this is where we disagree. As I said the review, and earlier in this thread, I think this is Sokal's most accomplished story. I actually think it's one of the most accomplished story I've ever seen in a computer game. I would gladly have given Paradise a 4 if there hadn't been all those design flaws (awful pointer, pixel-hunting, unfair puzzles in the harem). BUT, as I said in my review and earlier in this thread:

1) The game is not really entertaining, and so you need to trust Sokal and let him tell the whole story before making up your mind about it. And that is mostly due not to design flaws, but to artistic choices. It's probably not what would be usually considered 'wise' choices, but, then, I thought the pay-off was impressive in the end, and who am I to tell that it would have worked as efficiently if the story had been handled differently?

2) The story is not for everyone. Not everybody is interested in hearing about such a bleak, pessimistic view of mankind. And if the story just leaves you cold, then you're definitely going to wonder why you spent your time playing this game. If you call the game empty, then the story obviously didn't 'work' for you. Well, I hope that, by reading my review, people will be able to figure out whether it'll work for them or not before buying the game. If it achieves that, then I feel I've done my job.
Recently finished: MCF: Escape from Ravenhearst [+], The Walking Dead, ep. 1 [+++], Gray Matter [++]