View Single Post
Old 05-06-2006, 10:06 PM   #49
Jeysie
Diva of Death

Send a message via MSN to Jeysie

Mares: I don't buy it. My mom's a pretty crappy driver, and she starts getting into trouble at about 15 MPH under the freeway speed limit. And having been a passenger in nighttime rains (and various snows, for that matter), driving at the full speed limit is ill advised in poor weather as well. Unless you've got some really slow speed limits in your neck of the woods, I think that speed limits are in fact for ideal conditions, no "supposedly" about it.

Also, your "there's more important safety laws" comment springs from an incorrect assumption. The reason I'm focusing on speeding laws is because that is the topic of this thread. However, I care equally about *all* traffic laws being followed. The others just aren't currently being discussed.

(Though I could be irritating and point out that obeying the speed limit does make it easier to follow the red light and stop sign laws...)

I don't really understand why people seem to get so defensive about not following the rules. If a law is unfair, then that's one thing. But traffic safety laws are designed for your own good. It's not going to kill you to be a careful driver and maybe take a few extra minutes to get someplace... but it might kill you (or someone else) to disobey the laws just to shave a bit of time off your travel. I've seen more than enough accident aftermaths to know that.

Peace & Luv, Liz

"Maybe it's still in the Elemental Plane of Candy."
"Is the Elemental Plane of Candy anything like Willy Wonka's factory?"
"If it is, would that mean Oompa Loompas are Candy Elementals?"
"Actually, I'm thinking more like the Candyland board game. But, I like this idea better."
"I like the idea of Oompa Loompa Elementals."