View Single Post
Old 05-06-2006, 02:12 PM   #43
lakerz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeysie
You know... it's people who prefer to avoid consequences by cheating the safety laws instead of by following them that make me so scared and reluctant to get my own driver's license. After all... even if I take steps to be safe by following the laws, chances are good I'll get into an accident anyway because people are asshole drivers. *sour look*
Accidents aren't always caused by speed you know. I'd say the number one cause of accidents is driver focus. Look at how many people are yapping away on their phones, putting on makeup, while also eating a sandwich and leaning to the backseat to tell their child to stop screaming, they can't hear their conversation on the phone! Now that, plus people neglecting maintenance on their car is what scares me. Combine all of those factors along with everybody buying 6,000 lb. SUV's is a recipe for disaster. All drivers need to focus on the road. Period.

So, no need to worry about me. I've spent more money that I care to think about on HPDE classes not to mention numerous track days. I only drive sporty cars that are nimble enough to avoid a lot of bad situations, and I'm smart enough to keep my high speed adventures on a closed course (or sometimes a nice twisty canyon road). Most importantly, I do my best not to get distracted on the road! Don't eat in the car (makes the insides messy anyway), don't use my cell phone in the car unless it's an emergency and for those rare times I have a hands free set. Always check the car out before driving anywhere, especially the tires.

Having said that, a good radar detector is important to me because a lot of cops have nothing better to do than target a nice looking sports car going 15 over the limit on the freeway or highway, even though said sports car is just following the flow of traffic!! Usually the CHP only messes with the punk driver that is constantly weaving in and out of traffic and tailgating people, etc. Sometimes though, they're looking at just generating money for the state.

Last edited by lakerz; 05-06-2006 at 02:18 PM.