View Single Post
Old 05-06-2006, 01:03 PM   #54
Once A Villain
OUATIJ Creator

Nice list, I've seen every one of those films and enjoyed them all too. I'm surprised Tarkovsky's Mirror isn't on there, judging by the types of films you rate so highly I would think it to be a perfect fit. I don't have a finalized list yet (still working on it), but... Here are some things I agree and disagree with based on your list, which I realize you said are personal favorites and not necessarily "the greatest or most important". Still...

I agree that:

1) Red was the best of Keislowski's Colors trilogy
2) 2001 is Kubrick's best film
3) 8 1/2 is Fellini's best film
4) Rashomon and Ikiru belong in any Top 25
5) Magnolia is a great film (some do not agree or think Boogie Nights is better)
6) Hiroshima mon Amour is a masterpiece and the best film by Alain Resnais
7) Koyaanisqatsi deserves more recognition than most give it

I disagree that:

1) Woman in the Dunes is the best Japanese film of all time.
2) Red is the best Keislowski. That would be The Decalogue IMO.
3) Solaris is the best Tarkovsky.
4) Apocalypse Now is the best Coppola
5) The Thin Red Line is the best Malick
6) Lost in Translation belongs in a Top 25.
7) Notorious is the best Hitchcock

Again, I realize your list was thrown together off the top of your head and you also admit they are favorites that you wouldn't necessarily consider the greatest films. Still, I'm just commenting. Good list.

Oh and by the way, have you seen the 5 hour cut of Fanny and Alexander or just the 3 hour cut? Just curious. It's one of my favorite films ever. Top 5 for sure, and I can't decide which of my Top 5 (or even Top 10) belong where...they are all so great. If people asked me to name the movies that I absolutely couldn't live without, I'd need AT LEAST 25 choices to keep from going crazy, and I'd still have trouble...