Thread: Articles length
View Single Post
Old 01-16-2004, 09:56 AM   #1
Valynis

Default Articles length

Ok, this is some sort of combination between criticism and survey. I mean it in the most respectful way to the people involved. Here we go.

Am I the only one who thinks the article on adventuregamers.com are awfully short? The recent Gabriel Knight intro article made me realize this but this "state of affairs" is generalized throughout the entire site. Every aspects are lightly touched upon. References are kept to a minimum (minimum including none sometimes). Basically, they read like the quick summary on the backside of a movie box.

Ok, that last one is unfair, but that's the way it feels to me. I like to read articles on things I'm interested so, the more details you put, the more thoroughly you cover the subject, the more completely you cover all the angles, the happier I am... and the bigger the text gets, of course!

So, here's my question to you guys: Do you guys prefer the current way of doing things? Do you prefer short articles? Are you more interested by a quicker read that will give you enough info on the subject to know a bit about it?

In some ways, I get the impression that this is this website's vocation: to give quicker snapshots to the readers, to tease them, in a way, like a publicity website. Maybe it is. After all, the adventure game genre is in need of exposure. AG.com tries to appeal to more people by keeping their articles short, because a lot of people are scared when they see a lot of text.

Far from me to tell AG.com what they should do. It's their site. I also understand that this site is FREE which means the staff is already underpaid enough without rising the word count. No matter what, I will continue to come here and read the features because, overall, I usually get to learn something new about the fascinating world of adventure video games. I just thought I'd ask if I was the only one yearning for more content.