View Single Post
Old 05-04-2006, 12:35 PM   #21
Intrepid Homoludens
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by LenaJ
But I see it as yet another trap for young girls. I´m not saying that exposing unrealistic bodies to girls is the blame for a lot of the societal and cultural problems.
Good. But again, I personally don't see it as 'yet another trap', but an opportunity to focus on what really matters - independent thinking and intelligent responsibility. After all, Lara is representing the Skin Cancer Awareness Foundation, not the Anorexics-R-Us Society. LOL!

Quote:
I´m sorry Trep, but too many are not! Remember I work (when I work) with young children 9-14 years old and have done so for 20 years. You wouldn´t believe the fixation of bodies many of them have: weight issues, even when there´s no problem at all and clothes issues: many look very much like the cool girls on MTV in school. (if you know what I mean) Poor girls.
Yeah, I know there are kids with problems. Still, a lot of it also has to do with parenting skills and helping put the world into perspective for those kids. If they have an intense fixation on their bodies that tends to be more an individual psychological issue than something that is the consistently direct influence of unattainable standards set by pop culture and society. After all, there are many kids out there as well that have been bombarded by the pressure yet emerged as good strong individuals who know their own boundaries and what they're capable of. My nieces are among them, and my oldest one is totally NOT the hourglass shape at all. She's actually one of the sexiest young women I know, she works it, baby!

Quote:
You can be a dad, anytime!
Noooo!! I've had this discussion before with Lynsie and others here. I would suck at being a dad, but I'm an excellent uncle.

Quote:
I still find that the Lara-stereotype is very much representated: in movies: Angelina Jolie (and she truly is beautiful, no doubt about that), MTV: the whole bunch almost, the documentray soap crap (don´t know the expression)like The Bachelor, Paradise Hotel. Stuff that a lot of young girls watch (And yes, Elin and I discuss those shows to give her perspective)

Left: Pink, voluptuous pop music star. Right: Queen Latifah, pop music star, model, actress, spokesmodel
for Covergirl Cosmetics.

You were saying?

Quote:
And on TV there is Extreme Makeover where people tell how much more happy they are now that they are beautiful.
The pursuit of beauty is hardwired into us all, so we can never escape it. It's a biological function. The best we can do is to keep it in perspective and offer guidance to our kids as we raise them and keep telling them that the most beautiful people of all are those who strive to be themselves, no matter what society or pop culture tells them.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien