View Single Post
Old 05-02-2006, 12:14 PM   #42
jjacob

Over here that'd be one "strike". All drivers under 24 (including me) can get no more than three violations. Ofcourse if you're speeding 30 m/h above the speedlimit you're immediately toast (and lose your license) and they even confiscate your car (to prevent you from driving any further anyway).
However annoying a ticket may be, I'm happy with the near-zero-tolerance they have over here. I hate drunken drivers and I never drink more than is allowed if I'm driving later on that night (wouldn't want to lose my license, luckily I have no strikes). Apparently though, it works, and the Netherlands is now the second safest country in the world, after malta (..which doesn't have that much traffic for obvious reasons ). And I must say, compared to say France, drivers over here drive pretty well.

I'm not saying what you did was necessarily bad, but I can understand why you'd get a ticket. For all they knew, you were drunk out of your head and might hit someone or something later on. I can see why some would argue that "you'll do fine" if you're speeding, but those limits are based on the respective average braking/stopping distances, so you better believe you won't do fine speeding if you'd have to brake in an emergency