View Single Post
Old 01-15-2004, 06:53 AM   #7
Skinny Minnie
I'm really Cookin'

It always amazes me how few games come close to Syberia in terms of there being two distinctly separate opinions about it! It also never fails to amaze me how a woman like me who loves 3rd person games and female protagonists could wind up in the "Ugh!" camp.

My negative issues with this game, like most peoples' that I have read about in gaming forums, have to do more with the weak knob twiddling and lever pulling puzzles, plus the world's emptiness and lack of interactivity. You get Han's supposedly life-altering mammoth toy (after a pretty lame and quite drawn out lever puzzle) and there's no emotional cut scene, nary a comment from Kate, just a "thunk" as it plops into inventory. Yay. Or you have to listen to Kate say she "Doesn't need to go there" 2792 times in response to clicking 2792 game hot spots as she tromps through mile after mile of empty but gorgeous scenery. Why even bother to put those hot spots there? Additionally, the cell phone conversations were too dragged out.

I find it kind of hard to believe that Microids would be blind to such a strong and continual wave of complaints, and that they won't have made some effort to fix some of these weaknesses in the second game. I guess we won't have to wait too long to find out though, huh?