View Single Post
Old 04-29-2006, 07:18 AM   #25
Sage
Bad Influence

Send a message via Yahoo to Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by LenaJ
Or an elk.
They´re not as big as a moose, but we have such a large amount of elks running around in the woods, crossing the roads that there´s a national elk hunting period every year to keep the numbers down.
Our deer-hunting season serves much the same purpose. With no natural predators left, they'd soon be so numerous that you'd have to shove them out of the way to walk down the street.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LenaJ
When you hit an elk with the car you push its legs away and it falls through the windshield into your lap so to say. Often with the result that the driver and/or passenger is/are killed. I´ve seen many elks crossing the road right in front of me, or just standing right beside the road. It´s a good reason to keep the speed down and drive a large car with "that thingie that blows up like a balloon" (my dictionary is really old, didn´t have that word )
You've just perfectly described the experience of hitting a deer. They're not very large (only a few hundred pounds), but they do a lot of damage. They tend to get mesmerized by a car's headlights, so they just stop in the middle of the road.

Share the love.

<3