View Single Post
Old 04-28-2006, 07:32 AM   #90
Jackal
Hopeful skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sethsez
"Wii" has no hard sounds at all and is very short, making it seem weak and wispy.
This is it entirely. It's an issue of linguistics. For me it has less to do with its similarity to other words (humourous or not) than the fact that the word itself is so utterly impotent. I'd have had to stay awake nights thinking of a less distinctive word to neuter my own product.

The question isn't whether the system will sell. Lots of things succeed in spite of their own ineptitude of marketing and management. The question is whether the name is dumb, and it is.

(Note that this only applies to English. Possibly the word actually is more acceptable linguistically in other languages.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFGNCAAP
Charming, or even childish, name is a nice change...
Although pretty self-destructive for a company whose main challenge is convincing people it's not just a system for (younger) kids. Again, hopefully the Revolution Wii will survive the misunderstanding it creates, but no thanks to its branding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by insane_cobra
You laugh about it a little and then just forget about it...
Except, of course, that the whole point is to create a name that people DON'T forget about, but rather becomes an instantly recognizable household name. And for that they've picked a terrible name. You're right, though, that the name simply won't matter to many people.