View Single Post
Old 04-26-2006, 01:44 PM   #20
Melanie68
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dborgill
Despite all the true things you guys have said, I find profanity unnecessary in games and in general.

Some people are offended by different things and profanity offends me. If you are one of those ever-growing people that says "NOTHING OFFENDS ME", you are in denial.

Those from Europe, I could call you Euro trash and you might get offended and you might not be. Yet at the same time, if someone called me a yankee or a cracker, I could care less.

Vulgarity is vulgarity. Wanna know what the dictionary defines it as:

lacking in cultivation, perception, or taste :b : morally crude, undeveloped, or unregenerate : c : ostentatious or excessive in expenditure or display :

Could it be any better said?

Whether vulgarity offends you are not, it doesn't make the game any better. Metal Gear for the NES could have easily included many F-words, etc but it didn't need to. Same with the Tex Murphy adventures, they could have easily been loaded with profanity but it wouldn't have made it any better.
What were you expecting when you saw the M rating on the box? Usually when I see an R rating (movie), TV14 (on TV in the US) or an M (game), I would almost be shocked if there weren't any swearing.

M = mature story line whether you agree with how that is portrayed or not. It is your opinion that all swearing is vulgar but game makers also have the right to include it if they want and a rating has been put on the box. If it offends you, you may want to stay away from M rated games.