View Single Post
Old 04-26-2006, 09:07 AM   #8
Aj_
Beyond Belief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilaf
As far as the swearing goes: I don't think it's profanity for the sake of profanity. We all know someone who uses profanity every other word - it tells something about their character...generally they're insensitive and selfish. Seems to fit Marcus quite well.
That's the biggest load of shit ever... they could just be Irish.

People who don't use profanity, generally, are emotionless robots, that are repressive, and like to be urinated on to gain sexual gratification.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dborgill
You can create a GREAT game and GREAT story without of the profanity.
I usually hate these discussions because people who are against profanity in games switch from "profanity is bad" to "the profanity is not realistic in this game". Profanity is not bad, ever, unrealistic/unrepresentive/illthought dialogue is bad.

You can't create a great gritty game without profanity if the setting implies that there would be. In TLJ Zack and Flipper, and a lot of other characters, were played by voice actors that kept over acting and emphasizing words that wouldn't have been. Reading the dialogue, it's not the best, but it's not really a bad unrealistic use of profanity.

I can't say that Dreamfall has good dialogue because I'm still waiting to play it, but I think that complaining about profanity isn't about being unnecessary, it's about your sensibilities and cultural taboos that you must realise others don't share.