Thread: I'm fed up
View Single Post
Old 04-18-2006, 01:09 AM   #19
insane_cobra
gin soaked boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by avatar_58
However when adventure is becoming synonymous with 'dried up' and 'dull'.....well it kind of sucks. I used to hail this as the best genre out there, now I just sit back and wonder why all the games to back up my claims are more than 10 years old.....
It sucks, but it's not really anyone's problem but the developers'. On the other hand, many games of other genres now incorporate adventure game elements and are celebrated as better because of it. They've found the right mixture to appease the current tastes (and I'm sure some smartasses will now suggest mainstream gamers prefer shallow games nowadays - what ever rocks your boat, fellas) while "pure" adventure developers for the most part still struggle to even keep the little audience they have left. As I already said, nobody's fault but their own, it doesn't concern me anymore.

If I ever get around to developing a game, and I plan on doing just that, I'll choose what ever gameplay elements augment my general intention the best. No point in constraining oneself with genre boundaries. First there were games and then the genres formed around them - now some people think it should be the other way around.