Thread: I'm fed up
View Single Post
Old 04-18-2006, 12:21 AM   #1
Sierra Junkie

Send a message via MSN to avatar_58
Default I'm fed up

I said a mouthful on another forum, so I think I'll past it here.

What do these have in common? They are part of a genre thats having its ass kicked. I seriously have a hard time buying any adventure anymore, when the reviews aren't scaring me away the demos do a good job of it.

CSI - If that demo doesn't stop you from purchasing the game, you must be desperate.

Paradise - from the designer of Syberia. Nuff said.....boring story, no interaction, nothing but drab puzzles and slow moving characters. Hey, but its got nice backgrounds! Hoo boy! I thought adventure games were the one genre that didn't rely on graphics....

Crime Stories - Between the translation problems, straight forward gameplay and characters they expect you to know but can't unless your a native from its country....I don't know what to think on this one.

Scratches - I used to like wandering dank lonely locations, problem is Myst does it so well this game has little new to it. The demo kept me wandering the same rooms over and over again.....and it seems it gets no better from review impressions. Just what I needed, a game to force me to read a walkthrough or pull out my own teeth.

Dreamfall maybe be the only hope....but wait! Now we hear the added stealth and fight scenes are pointless and add nothing to the gameplay. Wonderful!

You know what? It's getting damn hard for me to defend this god forsaken genre. I love adventure games, I really do....however this has got to be the only genre where the past really IS better than the future. When the hell am I going to play the next big Monkey Island or King's Quest? No, not the damn IPs....let them rest, I'm talking in context here. When am I going to be able to play a NEW adventure game with interesting characters, a good plot and puzzles that are worth my time thinking about?

It really hurts when 10 or more adventure games come out in 2 months time and I only feel the need to buy one of them, simply out of hope. I think after I get Dreamfall I'm going to go back into dosbox and scummvm and play all the games I've missed, because at least they'll be new to me, AND worth my time.

Its nice to hope for a revival, but considering Indigo Prophecy was the only decent game to carry adventure elements in ages (and its not even in the truest sense of the word) I think I'm almost done caring. So lead on Dreamfall.....your the last real hope for this genre for me. I love other genres enough not to bother looking on the horizon of a genre that can only wow me 5 years between each game.