View Single Post
Old 04-15-2006, 01:01 AM   #2
Lacrima

This should be easy: For me, definitely the Longest Journey, but if you don't like a focus on story and characters, and rather like to... um... push crates - erh, I mean, ... no, wait. Broken Sword 3 has nothing on the Longest Journey. The puzzles in the Longest Journey are a bit of a nuisance, if you ask me; in Broken Sword, crate pushing is more than just that. Plus, Broken Sword has stealth. And standard "paper-pencil-key"-puzzles. Broken Sword has a supernatural twist, the Longest Journey has a world full of magic and it suits the game, while it feels like nothing but a sad excuse for a story in Broken Sword. The Longest Journey plays easy, it's classic point-and-click, Broken Sword tries to go modern and fails sometimes in terms of control.
Broken Sword, though, is simple. You can play it and maybe have fun (if you can handle how the game plays and like the style of puzzles). The Longest Journey is loads and loads of text and very long, you have to take your time if you are going to play it.
It's not as if Broken Sword 3 is a terrible game and the Longest Journey great (it is, I think), but latter is just better in most of what it does. Broken Sword 3 has charme, but too many other flaws and certainly can't stand up to the first in the series, while the Longest Journey isn't a fantastic 'gaming' experience, but can be a beautiful story to 'play'.

btw.: The demo of the Longest Journey was a bit of a bad choice, in my opinion, because while the style in Mercuria is quite similar to what you see in it, Arcadia and Stark are whole other experiences - not worse, just different.