Thread: Keepsake
View Single Post
Old 04-07-2006, 01:38 PM   #10
Terramax

Quote:
Unoriginal? Why, what other game do they remind you of?
Take Harry Potter? The so far basic narrative on the demo sounds like something from a Potter book as well.
Also, I hope I don't have to mention how many point and click games we have based in old castles?

Quote:
I thought the background graphics were quite nice, though I didn't much like the character models. Being still is, as usual, a technological issue. It's certainly not more still than the majority of today's adventures.
half of it is just the walls of the castle, or at the start there was the trees which, if there was some actual movement from time to time, I wouldnt' have such a problem.

Quote:
Taken as an example of what? How a big budget game can trounce a small budget game for production values?
Point taken. However, why spend £20 on a half baked game?

Quote:
The demo is from the beginning of the game, yes? So you don't know much about the story. It's told pretty clumsily, but it actually shows more emotional maturity than 99% of other games out there.
The story could be the next Ben-Hur - but if it's told clumsily like in the demo, then it's still gonna end up like a pile of....

Quote:
Anyway, the game has plenty of flaws, but it's just not the travesty you're making it out to be whatsoever. It's certainly reflective of the niche state of the genre and the budget restrictions of developers, yes. There are still plenty of people taking notice, though. But yeah, if you believed Keepsake would be capable of taking the mainstream by storm on a small budget with a fairly traditional design, it's not really surprising you're disappointed.
Apart from 12 year old Harry Potter fans, or fans of countless other castle and sorcery material in the past, who will buy anything that's remotely like that, I can't see anyone spending £20 on a game like this.

If this game were a download for £10 then maybe I'd buy it. But personally, I don't think a game being low budget has got anything to do with the lack of quality. Take Bone for one. It may have been short, but I got more fun out of the first 2 minutes from that than the whole demo of Keepsake.

Even Grand Theft Auto was made on a rather minuete budget, but it's its originality that made it become a storm. Like many other games.