View Single Post
Old 04-04-2006, 07:15 AM   #20
Glenn Epic
How am I not myself?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LenaJ
I´m getting curious what ESL means. Perhaps since I’m a teacher as well, my attention and eyes are drawn to everything concerning teaching.
It means "English as a Second Language" as Jat316sob pointed out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobee
the salary in China is very cheap (at least cheaper than your home town I assume)...can you afford that? though I’m not sure about foreigners working there
You're right, the salaries are thin but, as an ESL teacher, I will be earning somewhere around 6 or 7 times the average wage. I should be able to live fairly comfortably. I'm not making the move for monetary purposes. It's more the experience that I'm after.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toefur
Hey Glenn - been offered any jobs anywhere else? Or have you been trying many other places?

And what has this offer consisted of? How long for? What kind of pay? What kind of bonuses? (Internet? Bike? Lessons?) Just curious, you know.
I have tried a few other places, most notably Japan. The problem with Japan is that jobs are much harder to secure and also that a Bachelor's Degree is necessary.

I'm still tossing up between a few different offers, some of which pay 7000RMB (Good pay in China). All the job offers I have received include free accommodation (Including furniture, TV, DVD player, internet, air-conditioner, etc). Some jobs boast free Mandarin lessons and offer bicycles. I've asked the school Rep. to send me some photos of school and the town surrounding it. I'll post them once I've received them. I'm currently in the process of making sure that all my bases are covered.