View Single Post
Old 04-03-2006, 10:46 PM   #96
insane_cobra
gin soaked boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacob
I seriously doubt either one will "win"; they might win over the other (Blu-ray over HD-DVD or vice versa) but not over other way more promising formats; holographic versatile cards can have up to 30GBs of storage (that's a Dual Layer HD-DVD, or slightly more than a Single Layer Blu-Ray) but have one added (huge) advantage over both: they cost $1!

Then there's Holographics Versatile Disc; up to 3.9 TeraBytes of space on a single disc, and at the end of THIS YEAR Maxell will release a 300GB disc. Transfer rates are MUCH higher than conventional DVD-ish discs: up to 1Gbit/s! The very first wave of discs will cost $120, but that will no doubt drop down to one tenth of that price within a year (and when that happens, it'll demolish Blu-ray and HD-DVD):
160 x SL Blu-ray disc (25GB) = currently $960, perhaps half that in a year.
1 x HVD (3900GB) = currently $120, hopefully one tenth in a year (remember the first DVDs also cost around $100).
Maybe they are the future of data storage, but I don't see them overtaking movie or even game distribution anytime soon, too much money involved in both Blu-ray and HD-DVD camps. And speaking of those holographic discs and movie distribution, how do you fill that space up?
Most today's TV sets can't even take advantage of increased fidelity Blu-ray/HD-DVD offer.

Quote:
I'm not much of a blogger, but it looks like they're offering more than Xbox 360 Live is (currently).
Numbers game again.
They are offering more, but how will they perform where it truly matters (i.e. support for multiplayer gaming)? You can't just build that kind of infrastructure from practically nothing and expect everything to work perfectly. Xbox Live is still far from perfect and MS is polishing that infrastructure ever since they stepped into the console business.

Last edited by insane_cobra; 04-03-2006 at 10:51 PM.