View Single Post
Old 01-08-2004, 03:21 AM   #13
Bastich
Iconoclast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinny Minnie
I guess I *was* ranting, then, huh?
Actually no. I hadn't read your post yet when I did it. I just realized the TR reference looked almost like flame bait, and that wasn't really my intention. No need to get people riled before they even click on the topic...

As for your post, I agree that so far in BS3 there are no real camera issues so I give them a thumbs up on that. The set camera doesn't really bother me. It is just the method of control that leaves a lot to be desired. It would have been better to click on the ground in front of your character with the mouse and then use a mouse based interface for everything else also. It has been a while since I played it but I think Vampire the Masquerade had a 3rd person 3D engine where you clicked on the ground to move and just moving your mouse to the right or left edge of the screen roated your view. Doing it with a set camera would be even easier.Something like that would have been much better and would have allowed people less dextrous to enjoy the game also. It would have been P&C in a 3D world.Perhaps my memory of that game isn't very good though. I should load it up and check if it is as simple as I remember.

My post is more a lamentation of the fact that PC games are being developed for consoles first and then we are getting the shaft on the PC. Games series I really like are being screwed up. I think there is a Thief 3 petition somewhere I need to sign that is supposed to deter the "consolization" of that game. I think I may have to start actually getting involved in stuff like that.

I actually already had to use a walkthrough in BS3 in only the first hour because I never walked close enough to the wall in the picture I posted in the right spots to get a climb icon. I still wasn't fully thinking in Tomb Raider mode and didn't think smashing my face into the wall served any purpose. I 'll chalk it up to learning the new gameplay style, but it is pretty lame to need a walkthrough for something like that. It would never have happened with a mouse interface.