View Single Post
Old 04-01-2006, 10:12 PM   #58
SoccerDude28
Homer of Kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazhara7
After Civ2 the series jumped the shark, if you ask me. I have Civ 3, and it's not as enjoyable as Civ 2 or Civ 1. (I want to build my palace! Or my throne room! Anything!)

Somebody told me that Civ 4 (I think it was Civ 4) is closer to the old concepts again. Would that be true, I ask of you? I don't know if I should buy it, or keep on searching for a cheap copy of Civ 2 Gold Edition (which I'm probably going to do anyway. Those fantasy scenarios were great fun.).

-
Civ 4 is a totally different game than any civ before it. It's fun and I enjoy it a lot. They really streamlined the interface this time, so for example they got rid of the sucky parts like cleaning pollution and civil unrest management, to something else that does not require your constant attention but still accomodates for these concepts. They changed the government system to something called civics, which basically provides you with many more choices than simple republic/communism/anarchy ...
They also changed the tech tree such that you don't need to discover everything to unlock the later technologies. The techs branch, so different people will have different technologies. And of course there is religion. So a lot of changes, but to the better in my opinion.

Firefox rules