View Single Post
Old 03-17-2006, 08:04 AM   #66
AFGNCAAP
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacob
If not, couldn't I pose thesame question you asked;
Quote:
how to distinguish between being aware that you dream and dreaming of being aware that you dream?
Yeah, you could, and that's exactly my point: that there is no way to tell the difference from inside the dream. I'm not arguing that lucid dreaming is impossible, just that unless objective science supports this idea more, it really comes down to a personal belief. So whenever someone claims he can control his dreams, my sceptic alert goes off. I mean, he felt he could do anything so it must have been true? By that logic, I would have to accept everything a schizophreniac believes.
Quote:
And this isn't about ontology or metaphysics, a lucid dream is not more real than a regular dream, even though it appears to be more vivid.
Maybe I used the word "ontology" too hastily. I did not want to imply that you say lucid dreams themselves are more real. But, if I get it right, you (that's plural "you" referring to lucid dream believers) sustain that the control is more real, the dreaming person's choice - more conscious, than in a regular dream. And that's something that could just as well be another illusion produced by your brain, just like a literary character "aware" of being in the book still does exactly what the writer made him do.