View Single Post
Old 03-17-2006, 06:52 AM   #15
Ninth

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoriartyL
Nope, never played it. Sounds interesting.
It is, in theory, but in fact it boils down to cliking all the six icons to see all there is to see.

It differs from your approch, now that I think about it, because there's is no tree, just six different dialogs which play after clicking each icon (in Discworld).

What worries me about your take on it is that I would be afraid of missing curcial information by not being able to go back one step. In real life, there's always the possibility of saying "oh wait, I forgot to ask about ...". With your tree, once you've clicked, say, ! instead of ?, you proceed with the discussion, and have to start everything over to see what was hidden behind the ? (with kinda breaks the immersion).

Fahrenheit is really a great illustration of this; not only does the player have the impression of constantly missing things by using the "wrong" dialog options, but also sometimes clicking, say, "stay" (in your example, it could be the "!" option), could mean "please stay with me" or "I want to stay alone", ginving two different and unpredictale outcome.

In other words, it ends up being even more unrealistic that an actual tree.

Of course, I guess that with a perfect implementation it would be possible to avoid the pits...