Thread: Communal Diary
View Single Post
Old 01-04-2004, 09:57 AM   #71
Wormsie
Doctor Watson

Today I - sort of - finished Un Étang D'Automne. OK, so I used Babelfish to translate that, it probably became something illegible, but in any case, in English it's something like "Autumn Pond". (The final, printed version isn't done, just the one that uses my own sheet-music scribbles). As the name implies, it's a 'musical image', based on a real experience in the nature. Characteristic to my style, it's very minimalistic - the same chord is repelated occasionally at different octaves and accents. The rhythmic base is provided by a minor-second repetition, in normal 4/4, although I put in there one 3/4 just for variety. I littered it with expression marks, but left out my trademark, "molto expressivo". Instead I dictated the playing style as "moderato misterioso". I stole the whole thing from a flock of swans, actually. It's not a very good one, but I just somehow compelled to write it down - the performance of swans was so enchanting. Piano isn't naturally the best instrument for such a work, brass instruments rather, but I know about the even less than I know about the piano. So a symbolistic piece it is as well, albeit in a very unusual way. Heh. In any case, why should I or anyone else care what it originally was meant to be? Music is, after all, a very abstract art form.

Last edited by deadworm222; 01-04-2004 at 11:09 AM.