View Single Post
Old 03-13-2006, 06:49 PM   #20
Jackal
Hopeful skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoccerDude28
I am yet to read a SINGLE preview where the previewer comes out and says that the game looks like crap.
But why should it? A preview isn't a review.

I could argue all kinds of theories on this topic, but it all hinges on this expectation that a preview serve the purpose of an early review. That's an assumption that just may not be true.

Of course, I'm also of the belief that most (note: not all) people don't really want objective previews, anyway, even if they climb aboard this preview-bashing bandwagon. People LIKE to be hyped. They WANT to have games to look forward to, even if they turn out to be a letdown in the end. But only in the end. They still want that hope to last as long as it can. Negative previews would probably just make us all a lot more jaded a whole lot faster. And who really wants that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasilva
I mean, I used to buy PC Gamer all the time, but I stopped because there are no interesting games that I personally want to read about.
Well, see, you're really answering your own question. When you lose interest in the games, then you turn away from the media. Can you blame the press for doing whatever it can to prevent that from happening? Should it grease the skids of your disillusionment with more negativity than is necessary?