View Single Post
Old 03-12-2006, 05:37 PM   #1
Toefur
More slaw!!!

Default Not impressed with 80 days so far...

I think this was the first time I've forked out as much for a video game as I have, I didn't know much about it but figured it's an adventure game... Anyway, I am thinking of returning it.

I haven't played it much yet admittedly, but I'm not sure if I can see myself enjoying it if gameplay continues the way it has so far.

Apart from the motion sickness it's been giving me (I haven't experienced that since the first FPS!), my gripes with it are as follows:

- The voice acting, especially the main character, is mostly bad.
- The graphics are not really that great or very detailed... and I'm generally very easy to please when it comes to graphics. I figured a game with the requirements this game has would be a lot better than this.
- It's buggy. It's crashed a number of times, and at one stage where I was in the tombs shutting gates to lock the gates to keep in the thieves I found myself jumping onto a rock... and then all of a sudden I was -outside- the actual play area. I couldn't get back in, but I could travel in areas the player clearly isn't meant to, and I could see through walls and everything.

- The other characters I meet, for the most part, just seem... dead and lifeless.
- I really dislike the way you are restricted in your movements. That is, the -way- in which they restrict you. There's places you can't go, or directions you can't go in on a vehicle, but rather than have some obstacle in the way so you can't go in that direction or some mention from the character, "I better not ride a camel into the Bazaar" you just find yourself running into an invisible wall.
- Gameplay elements so far have consisted mostly of my least favourite types of puzzle: you get to one person, and rather than that progressing things, you have to do some meaningless little quest for them. I find the archaeologist guy I'm looking for, and he sends me off to find these 7 chalices...
- And I'm not enjoying the action-lite gameplay elements that involve me climbing, jumping in order to turn switches, pull levers and so on.

It must sound like I really hate this game, but I'm just not impressed so far and I'm not even sure if I should keep on playing. Like to see what anyone else that has played this game thought...

I am tempted to keep the game anyway just because it's an adventure game, and it's not that I don't like it, but it was a lot of money and I am kind of poor...