View Single Post
Old 03-12-2006, 04:42 PM   #142
jjacob

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFGNCAAP
Link? I'm open-minded; I may change my view. Note, however, that one or two anecdotal examples that it happened, however well-documented, are not a "study". I'd like to see some fairly scientifc take on that.
I remember these being professional scientific studies back when I read the articles (summarizing the studies' conclusions), but I'm having a bit of technical difficulty with my router/proxy config/etc. so at this point I have to switch between configurations for a lot of websites which costs time etc. basically just put "music piracy boosts record sales" in google and you'll get the results (I'd have to switch configurations to get Google.com and then switch again to see the results ). From what I remember reading though, it made sense and one of the main conclusions was that through internet piracy, people listened to more music and would often end up buying the stuff they liked, so while it may mean less sales for the Britney Spears, it'd mean more sales for less mainstream artists and more sales overall, thus being more profitable for the industry as a whole. I actually think there's a parralel to be drawn with the games industry, where you could replace Britney Spears with say, FIFA 06 and the less mainstream artists with an adventure game or budget RPG. What keeps me from doing so though, is having a full-blown discussion here at this hour with people who know thousands of times more than me about videogames and the game industry