View Single Post
Old 03-09-2006, 10:05 PM   #112
Intrepid Homoludens
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkgothic
Well, Trep came in a few days in a row, and since, everyone is waiting for Trep to come in?
Part of the reason why the chat isn't successful is that there's no kind of structure and order to it. It isn't topical, there are very long moments when no one types anything in (because they're distracted by other things going on in the internet), and people constantly change the subject if they're bored with what happens to be discussed, and then the crowd breaks off into 2 or 3 smaller groups in the room and, I suspect, private chats open up.

I suggest a weekly chat time, preferably the weekend, that spans at least 2-4 hours (like a good cocktail party). Mid to late morning for U.S. and Canada time zones, which means late afternoon (just before dinner) for Europe. That way more people can join.

We need constant structure and a selection of topics for the duration, and at least a couple of mods to actively enforce it. They can tell deviants to start their own private chat window if those guys decide to discuss things other than the main topics. It doesn't have to be the usual mods like tabs or Robsie, any participant can be one, maybe the person who comes up with a topic.

How are topics decided on? Simple. We agree on it beforehand here in Chit Chat or Forum Feedback with a sticky thread titled "This Week's Topic On iRC". Once the topics are decided we jump into discussion in iRC and we do not steer away from it. If you get bored start another topic in another private chat window. Otherwise if you keep disrupting the discussion (i.e. going OT) you get kicked out by a mod, simple as that.

I propose we call it:

The AdventureGamers Cocktail Hour

You prepare for it by mixing up your favourite drink (I fancy either an ice cold gin Gimlet or an almond Italian soda on the rocks), putting on some good music (I prefer Brubeck or Serge Gainsbourg's album Couleur Café), and changing into something swanky (suggestions - flirty little black or pastel coloured dresses and kitten heels for the girls, sharkskin suits for the boys, and furry animal costumes for whoever gets off wearing them).
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien