View Single Post
Old 03-08-2006, 12:59 PM   #42
Jeysie
Diva of Death

Send a message via MSN to Jeysie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
And you dropped out of school because....?
Because I was stupid, plain and simple.

Because I never had any friends because I was too shy to talk to people, and I got myself depressed when everyone else had lots of people to hang out with and I was always alone, even though I could have had plenty of friends if I hadn't been too scared.

Because I thought school was boring because I found I could literally could pass all my classes and get ceiling-level test scores by reading the textbook once and doing all the homework and goofing off the rest of the time. I mistakenly assumed that school had nothing to offer me then and I didn't need it.

Because my dad was a geek and my mom is not. My father was always the one who took interest in my schoolwork and the things I liked to do and was happy I got good grades and everything. When he died, I was left with my mom who, although she loves me dearly and she's a great woman whom *I* love dearly, doesn't understand or really care about any of the techie and geeky stuff that I enjoy. I talk about it and her eyes glaze over and she says "That's nice, dear." It's just not the sort of stuff she prefers to spend time on.

Of course, I found that none of the other students I talked to seemed to find my smarts and interests all that, well, interesting either. So I figured, what did being good at school and geeky stuff matter if nobody else gave a shit? I didn't realize how much it mattered until I got into the workforce.

And so on. Lots of stupid teenagery reasons that seemed to make perfect sense and be totally important at the time, but looking back now I realize how dumb they were, especially in comparison to the consequences of my choice. Which is why I regret making it so much.

Peace & Luv, Liz

"Maybe it's still in the Elemental Plane of Candy."
"Is the Elemental Plane of Candy anything like Willy Wonka's factory?"
"If it is, would that mean Oompa Loompas are Candy Elementals?"
"Actually, I'm thinking more like the Candyland board game. But, I like this idea better."
"I like the idea of Oompa Loompa Elementals."