View Single Post
Old 03-04-2006, 11:25 AM   #13
After a brisk nap
Elegantly copy+pasted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal
Just for the record (not that anyone claimed otherwise), the article doesn't disagree with this. What it says is "it's not the Adventure text game that served as the catalyst of the genre." Which it definitely isn't, console or no. As a PC-oriented site discussing a PC gaming service, it seems logical that the "genre" referred to here is the one we're accustomed to, without the qualifiers.
I was talking more about the "GameTap's description mistakenly attributes the 'launch of the entire adventure genre' to it" bit. That's probably not entirely fair. Maybe GameTap had the two games known as Adventure confused, and maybe they didn't. It's a very fine point, though, I admit, and the meaning is quite clear.

Quote:
(Incidentally, I actually agree that there is a second viable console-centric branch of "adventure" genre terminology.)
Yeah, I skimmed through the whole old thread just now (and now I need to go wash my brain out with Lithium), and I noticed that you popped your head in in support, before leaving insane_cobra and me to fight a 17-page war against SJH.