View Single Post
Old 02-20-2006, 11:11 PM   #15
nikoniko
Translate Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFGNCAAP
Sure (at least theoretically, as I'm sure we could list dozens of hollow and forgettable player characters in third person games), but wouldn't the same criticism apply to "second person", then?
I guess it wasn't clear I was making a tongue-in-cheek comment. I thought that would help soften anything else I said.

I'm not even sure what a second person adventure would be, unless it was from the same outside view as third person but with the character literally being "you", the player, rather than someone you just happen to control.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFGNCAAP
I understand the sentiment, but in context of amateur games, often you won't witness detailed animations of picking things up etc., anyway.
No, but that doesn't really matter to me. I enjoyed the Atari game Adventure despite my character being nothing but a square dot with one frame on animation. For a more relevant example, the amateur adventure Spooks works very well despite very little character animation. The main character is a floating ghoul who simply bobs up and down to move. She doesn't do anything special when picking something up.

I didn't say that Toefur should do a third person adventure, in fact I suggested he shouldn't. I was only answering his question.