View Single Post
Old 02-20-2006, 03:21 AM   #9
AFGNCAAP
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toefur
I just worry that maybe not as many people will play it, or like it, because it's first person?
Personally, I wouldn't give a damn about people who write my game off just because of the perspective, but that's just me. Choose whatever will serve your game best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doroposo
I like second-person adventures best.

I prefer third- to first-person generally, because I find it more stimulating and interesting. In a first-person game, I typically feel like the character is simply 'me', and though I'm rather fond of myself, I'd rather step into the shoes of someone else. Sure, a first-person game can give you a good backstory to try to put you into character, but still I find it easier to engage with the character if he or she is onscreen.
Sure (at least theoretically, as I'm sure we could list dozens of hollow and forgettable player characters in third person games), but wouldn't the same criticism apply to "second person", then?

Quote:
Another reason I prefer third-person is that it reinforces my interaction with the environment. If I click on something in Myst and it reacts, I feel the same as I do using a web browser and clicking a link: it's nothing special. But when I can see my character walk across the screen and pick something up, I feel drawn into the experience and it's more like something has actually "happened".
I understand the sentiment, but in context of amateur games, often you won't witness detailed animations of picking things up etc., anyway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreyMatter
there are four problem with FPA (first person adventure?) -

1) they tend to be a 'myst' style games. and i personally don't like 'valve riddles'.
They "tend to be", no more than third person adventures "tend to be" (or used to) Sierra's quest games (so I could say that I don't like third person games, because I don't like dead ends in adventure games). There is nothing in first person view that dictates this kind of gameplay, and, on the other hand, there is nothing to stop designers from putting hundred valve puzzles in a third person game.

Quote:
2) they tend to put less weight on the player character, i personally like to see who am i playing.
As I said to doroposo, that's true (at least in theory), and you have every right to dislike it.

Quote:
3) usually these games has problem with navigation (don't tell me you never got lost int these games).
Yeah, I did get lost in Myst 3 once. It's not enough to claim they usually have this problem, though. And, even if, there is no reason to assume it to be an inherent flaw of the first person view. I haven't seen many reviewers slamming Half Life for navigation problems.

Quote:
4)sometimes the FP POV is used to cut the costs of creating human characters. and so the game world becomes dull and empty. (best example - mostly every myst style games, not such a good example - starship titanic)
How can you "use" FP POV to cut the costs of creating non player characters? I don't understand. If anything, it would be the other way round - you decide not to spend time/money on character models, and as that includes player's character, you make the game in first person.