View Single Post
Old 02-19-2006, 10:15 PM   #4
nikoniko
Translate Me

I like second-person adventures best.

I prefer third- to first-person generally, because I find it more stimulating and interesting. In a first-person game, I typically feel like the character is simply 'me', and though I'm rather fond of myself, I'd rather step into the shoes of someone else. Sure, a first-person game can give you a good backstory to try to put you into character, but still I find it easier to engage with the character if he or she is onscreen.

Another reason I prefer third-person is that it reinforces my interaction with the environment. If I click on something in Myst and it reacts, I feel the same as I do using a web browser and clicking a link: it's nothing special. But when I can see my character walk across the screen and pick something up, I feel drawn into the experience and it's more like something has actually "happened".

That said, none of this stops me from trying out interesting-looking first-person games, so if that's what you're going for, I wish you all the best. And certainly, it's always best to work within your own abilities. If you can't draw or animate characters well, and no one else can help you, then you definitely should stick with what you're good at.

I'll look forward to playing the finished game someday.

Last edited by nikoniko; 02-19-2006 at 10:22 PM.