View Single Post
Old 02-15-2006, 12:26 PM   #17
MoriartyL
Not like them!

Send a message via AIM to MoriartyL

@Jeysie:

Well, you guys already know what I love doing: I love rambling on and on about whatever game design ideas pop up into my head. Can't imagine any of you really tolerated reading it, but... Anyway, I love coming up with new ideas. I love coming up with ideas which are completely outrageous, but make perfect sense. That has got to be the most satisfying feeling ever.

On the flipside, I hate repetition and redundancy. Often I get interested in something, read up on it as much as I can, then get sick of it when it gets too familiar and never touch it again. For example, I once was really interested in playing piano, so I went out of my way to get lessons, but it became a chore when I understood what I was in for. I'm not taking any lessons anymore, and never play any music unless I compose it myself. Or I was once really excited about math, and read so much math that I was around three years ahead of my grade, but eventually I understood what it was like and lost interest. I never actually did the final math tests, or even finished the high school material for that matter.

I don't actually know what I'm good at, since there's no one to tell me. Well, that's not quite true. Everyone says I'm good at music; I was let into the Jerusalem Academy of Music very late, despite not knowing a lot of material, because I was told that I could compose well. I don't know if I'm good at music, though. I just do it for fun, you know? I play piano as a game; I have this three-part "Improvised Sonata" which has these very complex rules I need to follow, though I can make up new rules as I go along. It's fun, and unpredictable. What was I talking about again? Oh, right, my not knowing whether I'm any good. See, everyone says I'm good, but I never wanted to be good, and I think it all sounds completely derivative, you know? Like I don't really have any originality.

I know of a bunch of things I'm certainly not good at. I'm not good at socializing, I'm not good at anything involving endless facts and rules, I'm not good at doing anything I'm told. I'm not good at anything involving manual dexterity without a controller.