View Single Post
Old 02-13-2006, 06:19 AM   #47
playing_games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattsius
But back to topic, Finland got a bronze medal in half pipe. Yay!
And the good ole America won Gold and Silver in half pipe. The American broadcasters kept saying how Finland had a strong team and they are just about the only team who can challenge the American dominance. The Flying Tomato was awesome. Apparently, he has a crash on American figure skater Sasha Cohen. It was reported that he hoped that Sasha digs gold because that might win him some points with her. Isn't it a wonderful thing to be 19, a world champion, and oh so naive?

The American team had an up and down Sunday. Some called the day Black Sunday because, Bode Miller didn't medal in Downhill, and Apollo Anton Ono didn't even make it into the finals. The much publicized confrontation between the Korean short track skaters and Ono didn't materialize. Korean skaters won Gold and Silver in men's 1,500 m short track. I was very disappointed that Ono missed out on the finals.

It's a shame about Michelle Kwan. She had to pull out due to injury. It was heart breaking, as a fan, for me to see her doing the interview and trying to put forward a good face by saying that she has been blessed and accomplished a lot as a figure skater and not winning the Olympic Gold doesn't mean a whole lot, which probably wasn't even true as she was trying to choke back tear throuout the interview.

Peggy Fleming said that we are not likely to see anyone matching Michelle's accomplishments as she doesn't see anyone coming close to winning nine US national titles like Michelle has done. I have been following figure skating a long time and I tend to agree with her. It's too bad she had to end her Olympics career without even getting a chance to skate.