View Single Post
Old 02-07-2006, 02:26 PM   #35
mszv

I think that Jeysie's comments illustrate my point.

You do get hurricanes and tornados, but they are uncommon, so you don't worry about them. Big destructive earthquakes aren't that common in California, either.

You also get blizzards. Yeah, sure preparation helps, but so does preparation in a hurricane, and there are tornado warnings. And blizzards are catastrophic weather conditions, though preparation really helps! People die in blizzards. I admit though, that I'm not that scared of the weather in the US north, except for the parts that are what I call "scary cold", which includes places such as Minnesota, sometimes (though rarely) in Illinois, parts of Canada, Alaska, and where Mira is living. That kind of dangerous, frostbite on exposed skin in a tiny bit of time - that kind of cold is very scary to me. But, you know, in Minnesota people go about their business, and as far as I can tell, they don't worry about it. It's so wonderfully adaptive.

The same goes for killer heat. It's amazing (and very sad) how many people died in Chicago, during a killer heat wave, and we aren't even talking 120 degrees farenheit here!